[Glastonbury] New to it - and keyboard commands

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 18 10:48:05 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 08:02, Kelvin McNulty wrote:
> Aha! so that's the snag... I'm a KDE addict. The one thing I really liked
> about Windows 3.1 when I first used it was the way you could drive it with
> the keyboard (ALT F X to exit an application, ALT F S to save the file, etc.)
> - I find that to be faster and easier than using the mouse, but this does not
> work with Gnome... or it uses riskier shortcuts like the control keys. The
> beauty of the ALT key menu selection is if you do a wrong key you know before
> unpleasant things happen... usually. KDE allows this in most software (but
> Mozilla does not do it (on Linux, it does on Windows), you have to use ALT as
> a shift to drive Mozilla from the keyboard. And as for Gimp, this refuses
> just about everything except right click on the mouse... a reflection of the
> use that graphics types make of the mouse, I expect).

ALT key menu selection should work with GNOME (it is working OK for me
right now). A lot of time has been spent in the past few years trying to
make GNOME usable with only a keyboard (mainly to help disabled users).
So hopefully it has improved a lot. I haven't really tried it myself
though.

Have you got a recent version of GIMP that has a menubar in every
window? That is much easier to use than the old right-click popup menus.

Damon