[Glastonbury] New to it - and keyboard commands

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Dec 18 11:40:59 GMT 2004

Last Saturday 18 December 2004 08:02, Kelvin McNulty was like:
> Aha! so that's the snag... I'm a KDE addict. The one thing I really liked
> about Windows 3.1 when I first used it was the way you could drive it with
> the keyboard (ALT F X to exit an application, ALT F S to save the file,
> etc.) - I find that to be faster and easier than using the mouse, but this
> does not work with Gnome... or it uses riskier shortcuts like the control
> keys. The beauty of the ALT key menu selection is if you do a wrong key you
> know before unpleasant things happen... usually. KDE allows this in most
> software (but Mozilla does not do it (on Linux, it does on Windows), you
> have to use ALT as a shift to drive Mozilla from the keyboard. And as for
> Gimp, this refuses just about everything except right click on the mouse...
> a reflection of the use that graphics types make of the mouse, I expect).

I have to admit that this surprises me, I'm used to Keyboard bindings being
really customisable. All my custom bindings in openbox use the 'Windows' key
(penguin stickers anyone?) because that's how I assigned them. I'm sure you
ought to be able to do this with GNOME too. I'm warming to GNOME and find
myself using it more and more since 2.6, it's a little bit too 'user
friendly' in a mac-like way for my tastes. There are worse things. ;-)

Last Saturday 18 December 2004 10:48, Damon Chaplin was like:
> Have you got a recent version of GIMP that has a menubar in every
> window? That is much easier to use than the old right-click popup menus.

This really does depend on your habits, I find it very natural to right-click
for context menus. again, the beauty of it all is that you can configure most
apps to work the way you want. With accessibility becoming possibly
(hopefully) a legal requirement I would start regarding any difficulties in
this area as bugs.

Last Saturday 18 December 2004 08:10, Sean Miller was like:
> Synaptic Package Manager (a nice user-friendly x-frontend to apt-get)
> lists KDE 4.3.1.2 as one of the modules packaged in the Ubuntu repository.

There you go. Synaptic rocks my socks, particularly the debtags version. I
have had to start compiling stuff from source however, because using Synaptic
with apt-get makes me very lazy indeed. It's just too easy. ;-)

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk