[Glastonbury] Finding files (was Re: New to it)

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 14:19:14 GMT 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Ian Dickinson wrote:

> Sean suggested:
>> cd /
>> find . -name 'firefox' -print
>

>  so a tweak would be:
>
> find . -name firefox -print 2>&/dev/null
>
> which directs everything on stderr to the bit bucket.
> BUT an even better solution imho is to use slocate.

<micturition::pyrotechnics />I really *really* hate to do this guys, but
for a new user for whom the above is akin to Martian (encrypted), what on
earth is wrong with :

      whereis firefox

?

[And *don't* come back and tell me your favourite distribution doesn't
install whereis by default.  You *know* what my answer will be.]