[Glastonbury] Finding files (was Re: New to it)

Ian Dickinson ian_j_dickinson at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 14:51:48 GMT 2004

Martin Wheeler <mwheeler at startext.co.uk> wrote:
> <micturition::pyrotechnics />
Taken literally, that could be a decidedly dangerous
pastime :-)

> I really *really* hate to do this guys, but
> for a new user for whom the above is akin to Martian
> (encrypted), what on earth is wrong with
> whereis firefox
Nothing.  You're right that for a new user, that would
be a perfectly good solution.  So I guess my
suggestion of using slocate in place of find / wasn't
aimed at new users.  And I should have made that clear
because the original question was framed as a new user
query.

I made the suggestion, however, because I used to use
find a lot, and had a lightbulb moment when someone
showed me slocate a while back.  I find it
indispensible now. I almost never use whereis, as it
happens.

Ian