[Glastonbury] Finding files (was Re: New to it)

Tony Sumner tony at whittycat.me.uk
Sat Dec 18 16:20:53 GMT 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 03:43:32PM +0000, Kelvin McNulty wrote:

> There really are many types of new user.

Indeed. Earlier this year I came across an article by someone who had
tried teaching beginners using the command line. It sounds heresy to
throw the mouse away but what he did was give them a shell window and
tell them that the metaphor was a conversation with the computer. They
loved it. I've forgotten the original reference but there is a copy at

  http://www.whittycat.me.uk/TheCommandLine.html

> and a really great feature of the modern shells is being able to copy text
> using the mouse and paste it using shift insert...

I didn't know that; I've always used the middle mouse button. Thanks

Tony Sumner