[Glastonbury] Finding files (was Re: New to it)

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 15:44:50 GMT 2004

There really are many types of new user.

I'm kindof unusual in that I am quite happy on command lines whereas a lot are
not. I know one person (not on this list) who hates using the Windows command
line but having used that under MS-DOS in the days before Windows (1985 to
1993) and having used Unix command line language in 1979 I was delighted to
discover that all the same commands still work today under Linux. Being used
to command lines and being a touch typist makes the keyboard much easier to
use than the mouse for me. Getting what I want by punching a sequence of keys
feels very easy and safe and generally is tolerant of mistakes (one key wrong
makes for an error other than wiping something out but there are exceptions
e.g. on MS-DOS doing del star dot star without first selecting the floppy
drive would wipe the hard disc...if it didn't warn you, and the early ones
didn't). But to folks whose first experience of computing was on an Apple Mac
or even on Windows and who never used the command line then the latter must
feel totally alien.

But I have got quite used to clicking and dragging files around (using
Konqueror under KDE which really is bril for FTP and local file management
IMHO) and that really does knock spots off moving files about using the
command line - and is less error prone.

Thanks for the feedback about Gnome and about KDE under Ubuntu, that
encourages me to try Ubuntu next time I have a spare PC.

I use locate (not slocate) under SuSE after an updatedb.

and then the wonderful

grep

following the pipe character (|) to pick out the things I want. I just love
Grep, one can do quite complex and subtle searches with it... heaps faster
and less fussy than using Micro$oft's Search under Windows Manager in XP.

and a really great feature of the modern shells is being able to copy text
using the mouse and paste it using shift insert... discovering or being shown
each of these things was an Aha moment for me and although I cannot use the
mouse heavily for long periods (causes grief in my shoulder and arm and eyes)
it does have its uses and I would find it hard without one.

Kelvin