[Glastonbury] New to it

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Sun Dec 19 20:36:50 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 17:40, maurice wrote:
> Three cheers.
>
> Below is the first message received on Kmail and this is the first sent.
>
> Once again thanks to all who helped me launch Mandrake Linux.
>
> However, Firefox has a jinx. More of that when I finally solve the problem.
>
> I'm looking to download and install the Java Runtime Engine. The download site
> offered a heinz variety of installations. Any thoughts please on which one I
> need?

I think i went for the off line installation as a biniary file ?

this is the linux self extracting file ( running mandrake you may be
able to use the rpm )

>From what i remember you down load the file.
Create a directory in say /opt called java
so
/opt/java copy the file that you download into here. ( you will need to
be root to do this ( and to create the directory.) you then need to make
the file executable rh mouse click on the file and tick the make
executable box ok this.

then i opened a command line terminal

and did

cd /
cd opt/java
then

./your file name here that was executable

this will then go throught the setup of java.

Hope this helps it was a while ago i did this so not totally fresh in my
memory

Regards

Peter