[Glastonbury] jackd

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Dec 28 12:40:25 GMT 2004

Last Saturday 25 December 2004 18:17, maurice was like:
> After installing a midi sequencer

Is that any particular MIDI sequencer, Rosegarden for instance?

> a message appeared on booting the
> application. Jackd was needed. I've found a jackd file using whereis. But
> it is a bz2 file and says only the owner can access it.

I'd recommend installing QJackCtl, which is a GUI for Jackd. Check that you
actually have Jackd installed, Jackstart is also worth looking for.

There is some information here, which is specifically for the AGNULA/DeMuDi
distro, so you may have to translate, the principles will be the same.
http://www.agnula.org/download/demudi/1.2.0-FAQ#JACK
Read the whole article and follow the links.
also:
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/resources/faq/
http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/using-rosegarden/en/chapter-0.html
should provide some additional clues.

You need to have ALSA installed and running for any of this to work. You may
need to add a line to your ALSA configuration to get external MIDI to work.

> What do I do please to make my midi application produce sound.

Music software for Mandrake is available here:
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/index10.0.html
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.0.html

cheers

tim hall