[Glastonbury] [OT]BPM Calculator

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 01:58:53 GMT 2004

Um, I don't understand the point you are making here Andy.

On Thursday 12 February 2004 9:39 pm, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> ?? Taking Mozart as a convenient example (since I have CD's to hand
> from the same performer and orchestra)
>
> Concerto 26 for piano and orchestra K.537 - the "Coronation" !=
> Rondo for piano and orchstra K.382 - though both are in D major.
>
> Piano concerto 18 != piano concerto 27 though both are in B flat major

Are you alluding to the fact that Mozart didn't make his BPM harmonic to the
key? That's because he didn't have access to Graham's BPM calculator!

> > All to do with sub-harmonics, intermodulation distortion and the
> > frequency difference between pythagorean (or perfect) intervals and well
> > tempered ones.
>
> _Which_ well tempered temperaments? [Shades of Walter/Wendy Carlos and
> Switched on Bach 2000 :) ]

I suspect Graham means 'equal temperament' - which incidentally wasn't common
practice until the development of the Pianoforte. Suffice it to say that
Bach's 'well tempered clavier' wasn't 'equal tempered' - this accounts for
why many classical composers favoured keys like Eb Major - not only does it
fall under the fingers nicely, it also would have sounded considerably
sweeter than, say F# Major.

Apos to anyone who is wondering what this has to do with Linux. It's just one
of my Hobby-horses and comes synchronicitously with a thread on another
completely unrelated mailing list. Whoopee!

cheers

tim hall