[Glastonbury] BPM Calculator

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 21:39:05 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:41:45PM +0000, Graham Oxley wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> To all the muso's amongst you,
>
> I have written a BPM calculator. Not your usual sort that converts delay
> times into tempi and vice versa, but one that calculates the appropriate
> tempo to play a piece of music at from the key it is played in.

?? Taking Mozart as a convenient example (since I have CD's to hand
from the same performer and orchestra)

Concerto 26 for piano and orchestra K.537 - the "Coronation" !=
Rondo for piano and orchstra K.382 - though both are in D major.

Piano concerto 18 != piano concerto 27 though both are in B flat major

> All to do with sub-harmonics, intermodulation distortion and the
> frequency difference between pythagorean (or perfect) intervals and well
> tempered ones.

_Which_ well tempered temperaments? [Shades of Walter/Wendy Carlos and
Switched on Bach 2000 :) ]

> If that is too much, I have even written half a manual for it. The program is
> at development version 0.1 at the moment, and uses Qt/Kde.
>
> Any takers? Let me know and I'll send you a copy.
>
> Ta,
>
> Graham

Have fun :)

Andy