[Glastonbury] audio

steve at fractalsoup.org steve at fractalsoup.org
Sat Feb 14 13:17:59 GMT 2004

Graham Oxley wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Apologies for not making Wednesday's meeting, but it clashed with a parents
>evening at our kid's school.
>
>I cannot remember all your names from last month, so if you had a  laptop
>connected to the big screen and pointed me in the right directionr regarding
>audio . . .

hi graham it was steve u were talking to

>I cannot afford the 'phone costs to download all that stuff on a 4.2 kB/s
>phone line, so I am asking if you could burn me a CD with the superfast
>kernel source, jack, rosegarden etc., and, er, whatever it was that lets you
>run Cubase plug ins. Let me know what you want... (£? for the disk and a/some
>beer for your trouble?) I run Mandrake, x86 architecture, I have Hoontech
>soundcard (ymfpci driver partially works - audio ok, no midi input).
>
>Thanks,

there are 3 good options to try
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/planetccrma.html
which is redhat or fedora based using get-apt rather than rpms
if you opted to try this install it would mean reloading linux on your
machine (4 discs) +  2 application discs.
for those who just want to try either a debian based or redhat based
install of applications only then the download from www.agnula.org has
most of what you'll need.
for mandrake users there is thac's audio
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound9.1.html but this can be a pain for finding
dependancies and is rpm based so you don't get much control with the
install.
if you want to see what's available type this in a console as root, to
add my RPMS to the urpmi database
"urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/9.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz"

anyway i will download all 3 options and burn the iso's to disk.
at the next meeting of 3rd of march let me know who wants what and you
can burn cd's for 50p a disc.

i would like to see your bpm work too if you can send it to me.

regards for now,
steve l_c

--
http://www.fractalsoup.org