[Glastonbury] March poster

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 10:33:05 GMT 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 20:20, Sean Miller wrote:
> Anyone else apart from Martin and Duncan bothered to look at the LUGOG site
> I created? http://www.lugog.org.uk

Yes, but only today. Looks good to me apart from the newsfeeds being a bit
mixed up. Most of them appear to be above their headlines instead of below
and one of them - Linux on Laptops - has only a headline and not a paragraph
while the paragraph above that does not seem to have a headline.

But stylewise it does look really good IMHO. Very good!

I downloaded the article and it was good so I recommended it to a colleague.

He runs on Windows and as soon as he accessed the LUGOG site his browser (a
recent IE on Windows 2000) started throwing errors. It was just a little
embarrassing as he knows I am fussy about standards... he made some comment
about non-standards complient Linux browsers... and I know this is an issue
because I do find that Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape (the three browsers
that I have) do render things very differently from each other.

So I went to the Validator at w3c at

http://www.w3.org click HTML Validator

and (after a slight protest about the redirection which I overcame by entering
the URL for the redirected front page) it generated a HUGE list of errors!
but there are multiple errors on relatively few lines so it would probably
not be as bad as it looks to fix. However, being that the site is generated
by Mambo, I know not what sort of changes one would have to make.

I think that if we want other people (most of whom run on Windows) to be able
to look at our site we should fix it so it complies with the Web's standards
with which even Microsoft have to comply. I am willing to have a look at it
but have no knowledge whatsoever of Mambo. I imagine that to fix it would
mean modifying Mambo's scripts, which could be a right minefield... maybe the
level on which it should be tackled is by submitting a bug report to the
Mambo writers.

Best,

Kelvin