[Glastonbury] March poster

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Feb 21 10:54:53 GMT 2004

> Yes, but only today. Looks good to me apart from the newsfeeds
> being a bit
> mixed up. Most of them appear to be above their headlines instead
> of below
> and one of them - Linux on Laptops - has only a headline and not
> a paragraph
> while the paragraph above that does not seem to have a headline.

Hmmm... yes... this is odd. As this appears to be how the newsfeeds are
being sent to the site... the RSS feeds etc.... if I change to another
newsfeed (say "BBC News") or something it seems to do it the right way
around... so it must be deliberate.... I thought it looked odd too, though !

> I downloaded the article and it was good so I recommended it to a
> colleague.

Steven Feuerstein is a law unto himself... but was very happy that I was
going to upload it to the site :-)

> He runs on Windows and as soon as he accessed the LUGOG site his
> browser (a
> recent IE on Windows 2000) started throwing errors. It was just a little
> embarrassing as he knows I am fussy about standards... he made
> some comment
> about non-standards complient Linux browsers... and I know this
> is an issue
> because I do find that Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape (the three
> browsers
> that I have) do render things very differently from each other.

How odd! On IE6 mine does not throw any errors at all...

> and (after a slight protest about the redirection which I
> overcame by entering
> the URL for the redirected front page) it generated a HUGE list

Yes, I prefer to install mambo under a sub-directory and then re-direct.
Just personal preferance, but it makes it easier if in future one wishes to
migrate to another Portal/CMS etc. -- should not upset search engines etc.
as they will simply link to the /mambo directory anyway.

> of errors!
> but there are multiple errors on relatively few lines so it would
> probably
> not be as bad as it looks to fix. However, being that the site is
> generated
> by Mambo, I know not what sort of changes one would have to make.

I can sort it easily enough I am sure. But I am confused as to these
"errors" as I cannot make them happen under IE6... can you find out a bit
more about what your contact has done?? Does he have some sort of "Advanced
Debug" facility on ? If so, if he lets me know I can turn same on and we'll
see what happens....

> I think that if we want other people (most of whom run on
> Windows) to be able
> to look at our site we should fix it so it complies with the
> Web's standards
> with which even Microsoft have to comply. I am willing to have a
> look at it
> but have no knowledge whatsoever of Mambo. I imagine that to fix it would
> mean modifying Mambo's scripts, which could be a right
> minefield... maybe the
> level on which it should be tackled is by submitting a bug report to the
> Mambo writers.

Hmmm... can you send me the error report from the analysis site?