[Glastonbury] disproportionate file sizes

d.hopkins contact at dmh435.vispa.com
Tue Jan 6 20:44:19 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Glastonbury] next meeting

> I _know_ Glastonbury now has broadband available but, for the sake
> of those few who may have modem connections or ISP mailbox limits,
> could I please ask that people be considerate before spreading
> 1.6M files around?

D:: I was very aware that it was a large file size to send out. I have 56k
and it took ages to post out (annoying)! But it wasn't made web specific.
The image was 300dpi and print quality, in case anyone wanted to print &
distribute. Did use PNG which tends to be a bit larger in save size than
Jpeg/ Gif/ Etc., but has good image quality. Anyway, i was quite pleased
with it - tho it did appear huge on screen!

The Wireframe sphere (an interconnective thing) was made in Blender, a
rather gorgeous free 3D programme, which runs very effectively on Linux. The
whole programme is only 2.25mb! Have some other Linux 3D programmes (full /
beta) if anyone wants to copy, install, explore.

Have to admit, was late with the deadline, ( festive holidays) so
distributing & effective advertising has probably missed its zenith - but
there's always another meeting.

When putting up round town, there seemed to be more interest with this
poster from people (shops, library, etc); people have heard a bit about
Linux, recognize it and would like to know more, i think.
Text is taken from website with improvisation. Well needed, but perhaps with
additional / changes. (Free, all welcome...etc)
Poster, Press Release, Word of mouth, Website, Linux community, :: seem the
main 'promotional' areas ?

Image / logo / attraction / information ( not a fixed order).
Just trying different designs to find one which is effective, if needed.

Was interested because of talk of website revamp also.
Software allows people to produce highly effective and creative artwork,
sometimes relatively quickly - sometimes with a lot of effort & patience!
(In relative terms to more manual image production.) So the artist within
can be revealed.

> A pointer to a URL with a (Warning, this file is 1.6M of download)
> would potentially be more useful than n copies of a 1.6M mail.

I wouldn't make a very good spammer! A great idea and one i shall consider
for future.
Duncan