[Glastonbury] OOo and MySQL

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Fri Jan 23 19:39:33 GMT 2004

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to get OOo to connect
> to a MySQL server on another machine.
>
> I need something that "Just like Access" to keep my boss happy (and more
> important the person working on the database who last learned a new
> skill in 1995! OOo seems ideal and the screenshots of the database
> component in action look great.
>
> I have tried everything I can think of in the "add datasource" dialog.
> Either I get a message to say I typed in my username and password wrong
> or occasionally I get a message to say a so file is corrupt! The help
> basically says "fill out the fields in the dialog" and I have been all
> over Google.
>
> I tried both the MySQL direct method and ODBC but both with the same
> results.

I do not know OOo what is it?

There are plenty of MySQL front ends out there... I do not know how Access
works (have managed to avoid it) so do not know why you seem to
anti-MySQLFront or phpMyAdmin etc. etc.

Can you provide a list of requirements and I can see if I can find you a
tool that will enable all your wildest dreams and (who knows) maybe dreams
you didn't even realise you could have dreamt ?  Please take it from me that
MySQL blows Microsoft Access away in *EVERY* way... I work full time using
Oracle, have done for best part of 20 years now, but MySQL is becoming a
language to be reckoned with.... I downloaded MySQL 5 beta the other day and
it is breathtaking....

Even if your colleague has to spent half an hour out of his drinking time
learning a new front end, it will be worth it... MySQL/Microsoft?!?! It's
like comparing a fine vintage wine with the home brew kits in Hallets....