[Glastonbury] OOo and MySQL

Rob Cornelius root at htmler.org
Sat Jan 24 08:38:59 GMT 2004

Wotcha

Bit of a crossed line here OOo is OpenOffice(.org). I use phpMyAdmin or
sqlYog as a front end for MySQL myself been using MySQL for years now
since verson 3.1.something.

But one of the companies I work for had a 2million record database in
Access that took up to a couple of hours to get any data out of. So I
replaced it with MySQL and they can get the same data in milliseconds
(ok so its on a dual Xenon server now but hey).

The problem is that the people who work there have about 3 sessions at
night school doing CLAIT between them. Therefore the only database front
end they can use is Access. (I go there and type queries into the mysql
command line and they refuse to believe the results I get out) They
wouldn't know a select statement if it bit them.

Then the boss there says "this linux thing you use is cheap isnt it?"
(the server is on RH9) So I have to set up a linux workstation..... So i
need a database front end that is as much like access as possible....
THe only one I know of at all for linux with a "point and click, drag
and drop" query designer is Open Office. Hence my predicament.

This is a real "if I can get linux/OSS accepted here we can conquor the
world situation" So far they agree that KDE looks pretty.....

Rob