[Glastonbury] OOo and MySQL

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Jan 24 08:59:54 GMT 2004

> Bit of a crossed line here OOo is OpenOffice(.org). I use phpMyAdmin or
> sqlYog as a front end for MySQL myself been using MySQL for years now
> since verson 3.1.something.

Ah, I'm getting you confused with the chappie who came to the last LUGoG...
sorry about that.... he appeared to be very enamoured with Microsoft Access
and seemed to want something identical to the Microsoft front-end tools for
MySQL... I read your message with him in mind... sorry! ;-(

> But one of the companies I work for had a 2million record database in
> Access that took up to a couple of hours to get any data out of. So I
> replaced it with MySQL and they can get the same data in milliseconds
> (ok so its on a dual Xenon server now but hey).

Exactly...

> The problem is that the people who work there have about 3 sessions at
> night school doing CLAIT between them. Therefore the only database front
> end they can use is Access. (I go there and type queries into the mysql
> command line and they refuse to believe the results I get out) They
> wouldn't know a select statement if it bit them.

Oh dear....

> Then the boss there says "this linux thing you use is cheap isnt it?"
> (the server is on RH9) So I have to set up a linux workstation..... So i
> need a database front end that is as much like access as possible....
> THe only one I know of at all for linux with a "point and click, drag
> and drop" query designer is Open Office. Hence my predicament.

I must have a look at this Access front-end.... is it an independent
product, as I have never seen it in action if so? Or does it integrate into
Excel or something?  At least if I've seen what it does I might be able to
offer assistance to people like the fella at LUGOG in January.

> This is a real "if I can get linux/OSS accepted here we can conquor the
> world situation" So far they agree that KDE looks pretty.....

If it's RH9 it's Gnome, not KDE. But it does look pretty :-)

Btw, RH9 becomes desupported in April.... I use it myself and am wondering
whether to migrate to the Fedora distro.... could not use Debian on
principle, because Wheeler would then think he'd "won" and gloat for
months.... ;-)