[Glastonbury] nfs

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 20:43:16 BST 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:51:42PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> I have been trying to set the laptop up at work to access a shared NFS
> files system.
>
> I have added it to the fstab file
>
> 192.9.200.205:/data/Design /Design rw   0  0
>
> What it does not seem to do is to mount on boot up do i need to add auto
> to the options ?

Probably. I'd need to check on my machine at work.

> Also i can mount it via a terminal as su by mount /Design.
> once mounted i can still only view it as root i can not see what is in
> /Design as another user.
See above
> Do i have to have the same user id set on both the server and also the
> laptop. I do not really want to use nis as i am not sure what would
> happen if booting off of the network.does any one have any thoughts ?
Same user

> I have checked using webmin and the /Design is meant to mount at boot
> time What was strange was that i could not look at /Design from webmin
> disk and network file systems if it was not mounted
See above - it may have to be mounted to see it at all.  There is
a HOWTO somewhere.  I think I just did a man nfsmount or some such.

> Also has anyone been having difficulty updating debian recently i have
> tried the work laptop by bring it home so as not to have to worry about
> the isa proxy server but it juts times out on one of the sites. is there
> away to comment out timed out sites so that the update will still run
> through?
Add a couple of extra lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list

[Martin should be able to help here - I think he uses a couple of the
German mirrors]

Comment out any that persistently time out.  I've had no problems with
ftp.uk.debian.org