[Glastonbury] nfs

peter.t.cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Tue Jun 8 20:53:11 BST 2004

Thanks for the quick response

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 20:43, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:51:42PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> > I have been trying to set the laptop up at work to access a shared NFS
> > files system.
> >
> > I have added it to the fstab file
> >
> > 192.9.200.205:/data/Design /Design rw   0  0
> >
> > What it does not seem to do is to mount on boot up do i need to add auto
> > to the options ?
> >
> Probably. I'd need to check on my machine at work.

 will try adding auto tot he fstab file tomorrow

> > Also i can mount it via a terminal as su by mount /Design.
> > once mounted i can still only view it as root i can not see what is in
> > /Design as another user.
> See above
> > Do i have to have the same user id set on both the server and also the
> > laptop. I do not really want to use nis as i am not sure what would
> > happen if booting off of the network.does any one have any thoughts ?
> Same user
I have set up the login on the laptop the same as my login for the
server so there should be no problem there but not sure about the user
id

> > I have checked using webmin and the /Design is meant to mount at boot
> > time What was strange was that i could not look at /Design from webmin
> > disk and network file systems if it was not mounted
> See above - it may have to be mounted to see it at all.  There is
> a HOWTO somewhere.  I think I just did a man nfsmount or some such.
> >
> > Also has anyone been having difficulty updating debian recently i have
> > tried the work laptop by bring it home so as not to have to worry about
> > the isa proxy server but it juts times out on one of the sites. is there
> > away to comment out timed out sites so that the update will still run
> > through?
> Add a couple of extra lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list

I have tried aletering this but does not seem to work ( knoppix issue? )
 I had to pretty much delete the samba config file to get Webmin to look
at it so as i could configure it.