[Glastonbury] pcmcia

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 21:38:27 BST 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:50:09PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> I installed a whole load of educational stuff use apt-get this seems to
> have messed up my pcmcia ( this is my only access to the net from the
> laptop), I am looking for more software for my 2 year old son.
> if i run cardmgr it comes up with devices busy ( i think can't quite
> remember) now any one got any ideas on how to get round this other than
> reinstalling knoppix it did the same when i did apt-get upgrade.
> Perhaps i ought to do apt-get dist-upgrade. or is this not advisable on
> knoppix
>
> Regards
>

> Peter
Peter,

Are you running Knoppix 3.4?  What does your /etc/apt/sources.list
say?

Knoppix is _not_ a stable distribution in the sense that there isn't
an easy upgrade / cross-grade path.  The nearest available is probably
Debian unstable / Debian testing with the balance being more to
unstable.

My (purist) suggestion would be to actually move across to Debian
by changing the appropriate config file and running apt-get update /
apt-get dist-upgrade.

I don't know any really obvious reason why upgrading educational
software should break networking - but thats only really considering
the obvious.

Any further details you can give would probably be appreciated here.

Andy