[Glastonbury] pcmcia

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Jun 25 10:55:33 BST 2004

Last Thursday 24 June 2004 21:38, Andrew M.A. Cater was like:
> My (purist) suggestion would be to actually move across to Debian
> by changing the appropriate config file and running apt-get update /
> apt-get dist-upgrade.

I'd be inclined to agree. Knoppix is not easy to upgrade.
Then Peter could just 'apt-get install debian-junior', at the moment gcompris,
KDE Potato Guy and xteddies might be your limit for entertaining a two year
old. But hey, he'll grow into it. ;-)

[ My 9yo <3s PowerManga & has Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblade wallpapered KDE desktop. We
'know' that KDE really stands for Kid's Desktop Experience ;-]

> I don't know any really obvious reason why upgrading educational
> software should break networking - but thats only really considering
> the obvious.

It sounds like the kind of thing caused by a kernel upgrade, but you can't
pull that in from package dependencies. Can you? I'm thinking Peter has
upgraded to a broken version of the pcmcia-modules.

The more informationthe better, please Peter. Error messages of the kind you
get running commands from the commandline. I'm not familiar with laptops or
Knoppix particularly, it's worth quoting obvious system info, like kernel
versions, output of lsmod etc. if it seems at all relevant.

cheers

--tim