[Glastonbury] Re: Dual boot

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Sat May 29 16:26:32 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 09:11, Sean Miller wrote:
> >From reading some material a day or two ago the problem with Fedora Core 2
> is not that Windows gets damaged (mis-information!! no doubt propogated by
> Microsoft) but that the partitions are reported incorrectly, hence the
> grub/lilo bootloader ends up pointing to the wrong place...
>
> More of an annoyance than a really serious problem, though I think a few
> wrists should be slapped at Fedora HQ... GNU/Linux does not need bad
> publicity like this.... it is likely to put people off dual-booting,
> something that we cannot afford to do... most "novices" are far more likely
> to take the step to dual boot than to wipe windows entirely and replace it
> with a distro....

It isn't just Fedora 2. It also seems to occur in Mandrake 10 and SUSE
9.1 (basically anything with a 2.6 kernel).

For more info see the May 17 entry here:
  http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

I think it is pretty serious though. Most people won't know how to
recover their Windows partitions.

Damon