[Glastonbury] Re: Dual boot

peter.t.cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Mon May 31 14:18:50 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 20:38, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 06:00:41PM +0100, peter.t.cole wrote:
> > I have just seen something on the Linuxtoday web site about Fedora core
> > 2 and windows it appears any distro using the 2.6 Kernel screws the
> > hards drive so windows wont boot. Linux is OK.
>
> Not true afaik: this may be a Fedora issue.
> >
> > I hope that they get this fixed fast as lots of people want to try Linux
> > as a dual boot system seeing as alot of people are running XP ( this
> > seems to be the only OS that they have problems with).
> Watch out for being bitten by selinux throughout :)  It is _apparently_
> fairly easy to lock yourself completely out of the system if you foul up
> :(
> >
> > Just thought that i would pass this on as if the next meeting is an
> > install fest we don't want any problems !!!
> >
> > On another not any one got any idea how to get apt to work through a
> > proxy, i have installed knoppix on the work laptop but can't get apt
> > through our windows isa server ( i ave got Internet access of sorts) i
> > have to enter my windows user name and password to get connected. i have
> > tried to set up NTLMAPS ( i think that is what it is called) but have
> > not got to far as the python script does not seem to want to work.
> There is an apt-proxy package in Debian IIRC.  Try not to use Knoppix -
> it is a very fast moving target and changes regularly.  It's
> comparatively hard to move it to anything stable.
I was under the impression that once it was installed on an HD it was basically Debain?
on that note i notice that i can only access my usb Camera as root not
as an ordinary user this must be something to do with permissions i
notice i am in the usb group so not sure what else i need to look at.
Did an apt-upgrade on my home laptop had to do a reinstall to get the
pcmcia card working again this i think was my fault as i did not turn
off the pcmcia support when it said something about it during the
upgrade, this is how i get my network connection. no internal nic

Regards

Peter