[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Nov 8 21:42:08 GMT 2004

> As a new user dare I throw a vote in the direction of Mandrake 10 or
> 10.1? It just, well sort of, works with simple installation questions
> like US or UK!  I tried Debian Woody but just could not get the
> graphic drivers to work properly on a VIA C3 board and found many of
> the questions/instructions incomprehensible to a newbie.

I would happily recount the disasterous attempt by Wheeler to replace my
SuSE with Debian a year or two back... the smile on his face at the end of 5
hours of grind at getting a 16-colour X-Window to open was something to
behold... thankfully I had the installation discs to hand, and was able to
satisfy myself at giving Martin something to do for the evening whilst
knowing that I could get a *mature* Linux setup back soon...

Hopefully Debian has improved since then...  but reading their website I
think they probably have not. It will still take 5 hours to get your system
to boot, and then 5 years to learn how to get it to run KDE with more than 5
colours.