[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 23:32:29 GMT 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Sean Miller wrote:

> I would happily recount the disasterous attempt by Wheeler to replace my
> SuSE with Debian a year or two back...

A little over a year ago, actually.

[And that's 'disastrous' by the way.]

Disastrous it most certainly was; it would have helped if I hadn't had to
spend most of my energy dealing with a client going: "I want it now; I
want it now!", like a spoilt child throwing a tantrum.

> the smile on his face at the end of 5
> hours of grind at getting a 16-colour X-Window to open was something to
> behold...

Nice story, unfortunately pure invention.  You walked out in a fit of
impatience without ever waiting to see the X installation properly
terminated, remember?

[Your system was running Debian GNU/Linux within half-an-hour btw -- can't
help it if in your world the command-line interface doesn't exist, and you
don't consider a system to be running Linux unless it provides you
immediately ("Right now! This very instant!") with a whiz-bang flashy
colour interface.  Toshiba Satellites have a video setup that wasn't
recognised at the time by standard Debian.  But Knoppix Debian did.
Have you ever ruminated why it only ever seems to be you that encounters
problems like this?]

> knowing that I could get a *mature* Linux setup back soon...

  ... sorry to urinate all over your pyrotechnics, but Debian's been
around longer than Suse.

> Hopefully Debian has improved since then...

Whether Debian has or not is immaterial; your attitude definitely hasn't.
But Wheeler certainly has.  The first signs of prima donna behaviour from
a client get them banned from the workspace, illico.

>  It will still take 5 hours to get your system to boot

Err -- just *how many* debian systems have you ever installed, Sean?
Enquiring minds would like to know.

> and then 5 years to learn how to get it to run KDE with more than 5
> colours.

But Sean -- that's only if you're a member of Mensa!  The rest of us can
do it in under half-an-hour.

Shall I put the obligatoty smiley in here?
Nah -- sod it.
I'm feeling gwellish tonight.

Cheers all.