[Glastonbury] Future meeting topics?

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 01:21:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Ian Dickinson wrote:

> I don't know if there is a list of topics lined-up for
> future meetings, but I'd be interested to hear more
> about DocBook sometime.  I have a writing project to
> do next year that I think DocBook might be ideal for.
> But I say that not really knowing much of what DocBook
> can and can't do, or how easy it is to learn.

If you're interested in markup, it's very easy to learn.
Think HTML on steroids.

Having said that, if there's any interest in the group as a whole, yes, I
could give a brain-dump on using Linux as an SGML editing workstation.
[DocBook is an instance of SGML; and also of XML -- which is itself an
instance of SGML.     Oops -- I think I just lost my audience. :o]

Briefly, using DocBook markup will allow you to use one source text to
produce web-page, plain text, LaTeX and a few other formats documentation
-- all from the one single source document.

Pretty powerful stuff.

> I trawled around the lugog site a bit, but I couldn't
> see a list of future topics anywhere.  Did I miss it?

No -- so far there hasn't ever been one.
Sounds like a good idea.

Care to start compiling some topics, and maintain a page on the CMS site?

Cheers,