[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 13:45:47 GMT 2004

Last Tuesday 09 November 2004 06:45, Sean Miller was like:
> If it were only me then we might actually have more Linux users than
> Windows ones in the world... this is one of the things holding Linux back,
> and it is why I have so much time for distros that make it easy. I do admit
> that Knoppix is pretty impressive, as is DeMUDI, so why is it that when one
> tries to install either to the hard disk (rather than LiveCD) they both
> turn into a nightmare that seems to need an in-depth knowledge of Linux
> internals to get to work?!?!?!!? (this was my experience with DeMUDI
> anyway) -- if you really want to impress get DeMUDI working on my laptop in
> hard disc mode within a couple of hours... then I'd be converted! I never
> managed it...

Yep, Knoppix is great as a demo, but pointless trying to install it to HD -
it's more or less not upgradeable. The A/DeMuDi-1.1.1 live CD (based on
Knoppix) is only intended as a demo and never intended to be installed,
absolutely everyone who tried had nightmares. The proper 1.2.0 release, which
is based on Debian Sarge installs easily.

I'll install A/DeMuDi on anything that stands still long enough and doesn't
need proprietary drivers, gladly.

cheers

tim hall