[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

mauricemail mail at mauricebutler.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 14:27:42 GMT 2004

Been lurking on here for a year or so. And pricked up my ears when the
debate about distributions, especially when the name Mandrake came up. I did
manage to install it a couple of years ago. Subsequently I've tried others
and failed completely. Mandrake seems to lead us newbies gently by the hand.

I want to leave MS behind. But I need to speak to my digital slr (would the
new card readers solve that problem?) and a few other things where there
seemed to be no Linux applications. For example dictation systems. I also
need to access web sites which complain if IE is not being used to talk to
them.

I'm a serious home user. I built my first system in 1978 using a 25 watt
soldering iron, a Nascom 1 based on the Z80 chip and programmed it in basic
machine code then later, Z80 assembler. Advanced to Digital Research's CPM
and groaned when BG ground it down to PC Dos for IBM and MS Dos for the rest
of us.

But Unix foxes me. Maybe it's my advanced years? And my ancient brain is
much slower than it used to be. In any case, now-a-days I want to reliably
use applications not fathom out how to mess about with the underlying
structure.

Is Mandrake as bad as some of your seem to infer? What would you recommend
an inexperienced linux person to do?

Thank you.
Maurice