[Glastonbury] My CUPS floweth not ...

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 14:42:21 GMT 2004

So,

They couldn't find XP drivers for the Lexmark, so I thought I'd try it on a
Linux box. This one hasn't had a printer connected to it since I last
reinstalled, due to moving to a bigger HD.

Imagine my surprise when I get to the end of the web-based config utility
[http://localhost:631/] to be told

Error:

    client-error-not-authorized

I'm trying to configure it to use CUPS+Gimp-Print-4.2.7 (I upgraded to
1.1.20final+rc1-10 to see if it made any difference, it doesn't). I've tried
as root and as normal user assigned to sys, adm, lp, lpadmin etc. no cigar.

I managed to get it to recognise (or at least list) the printer by using the
command-line lpadmin, but I still have to configure it for the right driver.
I'd be better off using the driver from the Lexmark site with Foomatic, but
it only comes as an rpm. Is it worth using alien here? It will probably work
(albeit not so nicely) with Gimp-Print, but I can't figure how to do that
with lpadmin.

The GNOME interface hangs and has to be killed off.

Googling so far reveals that this may be a known bug from as far back as
1.1.15 or so, seems strange that it's not fixed by now. Next I'll try
# chmod 666 /etc/cups/*.conf - security probably isn't a big issue here.

Has anyone encountered this and fixed it - or know of something obvious I'm
missing?

cheers

tim hall