[Glastonbury] Woes of the attempted debian download

steve steve at fractalsoup.org
Sun Nov 14 12:16:39 GMT 2004

Hi folks,
I have tried in vain to download the dvd iso's of sarge this week using
differnet methods.
It is the DVD's I am after and they only can be
I just couldn't get jigdo to work on Linux so resorted to using my Xp
NTFS partition (they are large iso's) using Jigdo and Wget.
All was working well for 25 hours when all of a sudden the power went
last night (all those kettles being switched on after carnival I expect)
and I can't pick up where I left off as the images on the debian server
have changed this morning.
I tried an rsync but to no avail.
I did pass on my home address details to Andy last week but haven't
heard anything. (Did you get them?)
I genuinely want to try debian.
I have an older 8 cd version "woody" 3.0 r1 I could try. If I install
that can I get sarge more easily?
I expect it won't support my sagem broadband modem though so I'll be stuck.
Sarge is a 14 cd version and is obviously a testing version with all the
latest apps/drivers on so would prefer this.
Martin kindly lent me his dvds but disc one won't copy.
So in short if anyone on the list has a copy of sarge "testing" on dvd I
would really appreciate it if I could either borrow them to copy or am
happy to reimburse you for copying and sending them to me.
I will attempt a base netinstall using the
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/pre-rc2/sarge-i386-netinst.iso
and see if i can pick up the internet from there using the fast sagem
modem in the meantime.

Thank You.

Steve Leonard-Clarke.
St Dunstan's Community School,