[Glastonbury] oops.....suse license

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Nov 15 08:47:51 GMT 2004

Last Sunday 14 November 2004 21:34, Alistair Parsons was like:
> also hopefully ill have time this week to sort out some working freebee PCs
> anyone want anything?

Yup, I'm in the process of sorting out the Assembly Rooms in Glastonbury with
a networked system (see 'Just a little idea' thread). I've already had some
wonderful offers of help from the group and the process will take a little
time to get moving, so we're not in desperate need. That said, currently a
scanner and a machine that will run OpenOffice (i.e. anything faster than a
P1 that can take enough RAM) would come in handy immediately.

<waffle type="random">
Recycling computers is an interesting business. I'm aware of quite a high need
for cheap / free hardware in Glastonbury, the difficulty lies with organising
the movement and setting up of machines, Glastonbury's denizens being
notorious for being unable to make up their minds etc .. Obviously that's
their problem .. in short, I can probably find homes for most
no-longer-saleable hardware, but I'm as wary as anyone else of accumulating
lots of beige doorstops. As this is probably going to be the last phase of
any machine's useful life, I find my thoughts constantly turning to disposal.
What do you do with really useless hardware, take it to the tip? and then what
happens? The idea of landfill is horrific, do they separate out the bits and
melt them down? I guess I could phone the council and ask. Obviously the sane
answer is to keep recycling as far as possible, but clearly that's a big
space / time commitment. The people / time / skills bit is relatively easy,
the space equation not so. Just thinking out loud really ...
</waffle>

cheers

tim hall