[Glastonbury] suse license

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 20:54:28 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:35:40PM +0000, Greg Browne wrote:
> >From the SUSE 9.1 copyright notice. You will notice that there is more
> than one flavour of the "full" version of SUSE 9.1 personal edition!!!
>  This "full" stripped down version has the advantage of fitting on one
> CD and only appears to have free software, ie Open Office etc, no Star
> Office. Having installed it, it looks most impressive.
>
> Greg )written using SUSE9.1 / firefox==
> How to use the SUSE LINUX 9.1 Personal CD-iso image:
>
> 1. Download the ISO file SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso from the public ftp

The Linux Magazine dated for December 2004 has the full DVD of SuSE 9.1
Pro - and an upgrade offer to 9.2.

As far as getting rid of old copies goes - SuSE used to dish them out
at Linux Expos and so on.  Provided you transfer all your rights to
the distribution as you hand over the box/manuals/CD's or whatever -
give them what you got - then you're not in violation of anybody's
licence AFAICS. [I _used_ to be a law student].  If you didn't pass
on the disks, for example, but gave them copies and kept the originals
for yourself, it might be a different matter.

>From someone who's just been on the phone - it may be that SuSE no
longer includes the NVidia drivers by default - allegedly Novell won't
continue to pay for them. He ended up re-installing 9.1 and doing an
upgrade to 9.2. This is pure rumour and I'm not in a position to
corroborate it.

Andy