[Glastonbury] Thanks

Peter Fry pjfry at compuserve.com
Thu Nov 25 19:44:11 GMT 2004

>>Peter
Any chance you could get a bit more memory for your machine (ebay maybe?)
I'm trying to get to grips with LINUX (various) at the moment and am
finding 128MB is about the minimum for the newer distros, having had
to try several so far!

Hi Greg
I've just installed RH 7.2 as server only, no X and the minimum of
utilities just to see how I get on.
I agree more memory would be an improvement but I will have a better
machine on which to install a more up-to-date version soon.

RH 7.2 seems to be working so far and I've just discovered Joe, which looks
very like the DOS ver of Wordstar I used to use in the 1980's.
Suddenly I feel much happier as before then I was dreading having to learn
the arcane commands of VI.

The only thing that I'm uneasy about is that when I shut down the machine
seems to crash with an endless stream of groups of numbers (could be hex)
in [ ]

It restarts ok after I've hit the reset button so it can't be that serious
(or can it).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion about the memory.

>>Just trying KANOTIX at the moment. Best of the bunch so far IMO, at least
on my flaky computers
Greg

Can't say I've heard of KANOTIX - is it like KNOPPIX, i.e. runs in RAM

Cheers

Peter