[Glastonbury] new to linux

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:12:22 GMT 2004

Hi Roy,

Welcome.

Last Tuesday 23 November 2004 21:10, ROY MONAGHAN was like:
>  I am new to Linux, I have installed on my laptop RED-Hat 8.0 the problem
>  that I am having is hard ware related.First network I use a WI Fi system
> on XP but it does not work on Linux,

Possibly not out of the box, it should be possible to configure, not used WiFi
so can't be much help there, sorry. Bluetooth drivers need installing maybe?

> modems is an other problem.Is there a
> list of hard ware that is compatible with Linux?? or is there a way of
> configuration.

Most card modems appear to be WinModems, which are not supported. I always try
to use an external modem connected to the serial port (/dev/ttS0...) for
dialup or connected to the network for adsl. This usually just works.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk