[Glastonbury] Re: new to linux

tony at whittycat.me.uk tony at whittycat.me.uk
Fri Nov 26 14:26:01 GMT 2004

ROY MONAGHAN writes:

>  I am new to Linux, I have installed on my laptop RED-Hat 8.0 the problem  that I am having is hard ware related.First network I use a WI Fi system on XP but it does not work on Linux, modems is an other problem.Is there a list of hard ware that is compatible with Linux?? or is there a way of configuration.

I have Red Hat 8.0 and an Actiontec wireless adapter talking to a Netgear
ethernet router. What type of wireless adapter do you have and is it PCI,
PCMCIA or USB? I use the linux-wlan-ng driver but there are others. As for
the modem, the main thing is not to waste time on a USB modem it won't work;
you need an ethernet modem aka a router. Doesn't matter much which.

Tony Sumner