[Glastonbury] ALSA issues

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 15:00:45 BST 2004

Last Sunday 05 September 2004 02:05, nick irwin was like:
>  Turns out you can't start ALSA from rc-update. Nor can you load any
> sound modules until the init phase is complete. Loading any modules causes
> ALSA to think its already been started, when it hasn't. So it says, "Sorry,
> I'm already running" and quits"
>
> Now from this description I am sure that my system is loading ALSA before
> the init phase is complete, but I'm unable to figure out how I change when
> it loads so that I can delay it until after the init phase.

Erm, not really.

Unfortunately Mandrake configures boot-up and modules in a very different way
from Debian. Under Debian, ALSA gets started at the same time (S20) as
cupsys, inetd, ssh, lpd and various other daemons in the second phase of the
boot process. If you have a sysVinit editor or similar that you use to
control the startup of services, you should be able to control ALSA in a
similar manner. Alternatively you might be able to insert a local script into
the boot process to control it.

Other than that I'm stumped.

sorry not to be any more help

tim hall