[Glastonbury] ALSA issues

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 20:11:10 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:00:39PM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Last Sunday 05 September 2004 02:05, nick irwin was like:
> >  Turns out you can't start ALSA from rc-update. Nor can you load any
> > sound modules until the init phase is complete. Loading any modules causes
> > ALSA to think its already been started, when it hasn't. So it says, "Sorry,
> > I'm already running" and quits"
I've seen this somewhere else. Make sure that you are are _only_ loading
alsa modules and not the older oss ones: this may help.

[For the logic impaired - I and several others thought that sound had
vanished on our Debian systems. It turns out that alsa is being
correctly configured but that the mixer is turned right down to zero as
a default setting.  A bit of aumix / gamix and it all works fine again :)
Took a long time and a bit of googling to work that one out :) ]

lsmod may also be a help to find out what is loaded when.

> sorry not to be any more help

Don't be sorry - at least the list members are helping each other
instead of indulging in some pointless flame fest / argument :)

Andy