[Glastonbury] KNoppix install

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 16:16:00 BST 2004

Hi Justin,

Last Monday 20 September 2004 13:29, Justin Haskins was like:
> As a user of Linux I subscribed to your mailing list some time ago and have
> enjoyed reading the posts ever since.  I will take this time to introduce
> myself. I am an IT Engineer at Strode College.  Although we use nearly
> exclusively Microsoft Operating Systems with the excpetion of ~100 OSX
> macs, we do make use of Knoppix for repair and diagnostics (read ethereal).
>  While we don't use Linux very much we are always looking for alternatives
> to system we have in place, however on a network of our size that is
> controlled by Active Directory making a jump away from Microsoft will/would
> not be easy.

Hmm, Yes, the first place to introduce GNU/Linux or anything like it would be
to control the network. I believe GNU systems are strong in this role.
However, that would be *cough* less than trivial in a network the size of
Strode's. I know Adrian Smith was interested in exploring Planet CCRMA or
Agnula for music stuff too, I don't know whether that progressed any further.

Remember, three left turns often do make a right ;)

tim hall