[Glastonbury] KNoppix install

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 19:14:02 BST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Justin Haskins wrote:

>  we do make use of Knoppix for repair and diagnostics (read ethereal).

Oo-ooh!  Network analysis and packet-sniffing, eh?

Time was (five years ago) when bringing what you now most sensibly refer
to as "diagnostics" tools onto campus -- by a member of staff, even -- was
considered the heinous crime of using "hacking software", and
incontrovertible grounds for banning such evil-minded people (obviously
hell-bent on destroying the College's network -- why else would they even
own such software?) from the premises entirely.

Actually teaching (first-year systems administration) students how to use
such software was akin to instructing them in the arts of rape and
pillage, and definitely the work of anti-social practitioners of the
black arts.

Glad to see attitudinal advances have been made.

> making a jump away from Microsoft will/would not be easy.

Certainly wouldn't.  And definitely not advisable to attempt as a
"one-time-only" exercise, given the network(s) in question.

But how possible would it be to set up a small experimental network (say,
a dozen machines), where teaching staff, students and IT support staff
could learn to play at being network admins, as part of a gradual
introduction programme?
(Tip: the students are going to do it at home, anyway.)

Doesn't need to be connected to anything external; provides a platform for
the gradual introduction of FLOSS (Free, Libre or Open Source Software)
onto the campus; costs nothing more than the cost of the machines and
their cabling; and is a whole bunch of educational fun to boot.
(pun intended)

The alternative *might* be to see students arriving on campus with Knoppix
/ ubuntu / home-designed Morphix disks (or USB memory sticks); frigging a
machine to boot off either; replacing a standard network machine with
same (or plugging in their own laptop / PDA, which was the favoured method
five years ago) -- and hey presto! instant fun, and headaches for IT
services as they run amok on the network(s).

On the other hand, teach 'em how to run a network properly, and they're
not going to crap in their own nest.

That's the theory, anyhow.

Cheers,