[Glastonbury] meeting

steve steve at fractalsoup.org
Mon Sep 27 18:12:53 BST 2004

In order to get to room 2 we all need to go into the main building,
go to the main foyer and the staff their will help you find the way.
just follow the penguins...

originally we were going to look at blender and gimp 2.
i am happy to do this if people want, however i will be using the
tutorials from the website http://www.blender3d.org/
to familiarise myself so it will not be a "led" workshop, rather a
chance to get to know the program.

gimp 2 can only be demonstrated with the laptop via the projector. again
i am happy to look at this if people want.

room 2 now has this facility as well as 30 Linux Machines and the 3 main
LTSP servers for use!

interestingly we have had some real problems migrating the old NT
profiles on the windows network over to Linux.
we have tried to keep the old curriculum network running to allow the
windows dependent teachers (and believe me they are many) able to access
their comfort blankets but NT just does not want to know anything else
other than NT. winXP is better able to work with Samba.
in the short term to allow users access to the workstations we put in
the linux boot-rom cards in the NT machines so we now have a total of
15 + 30 + 21 +1 = 67 machines running Linux as Thin/Mid Clients.
I am putting together an estimate of what it would take to upgrade the
network to windows 2003 server as well as winXP Pro workstations with
MSOffice 2003 and Photoshop, Macromedia Suite. i know i can use this to
put a paper together for governors and the staff to argue for the school
to go whole-linux-curriculum-network.

the main cost to the school will be training.
food for thought.

wednesday 7 - 9pm room2 it is then.
see you then,
regards,