[Glastonbury] Sedgemoor IT Cluster

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 17:43:11 BST 2005

Sean >>>Problem is that the "total cost of ownership" for an SME starts to
rise
the minute they move away from what their suppliers are promoting as
standard. Therefore it is for us to start to act on suppliers to get the
Linux Desktop accepted more widely and then, at that point, to start
trying to influence Business Link to encourage it to SMEs...

You'd think the single, emotionally-loaded, hugely expensive word "Viruses"
would have an effect on Win users, wouldn't you?! But they don't seem to take
the hint even if they are petrified of viruses. I still know users who are
very anxious about viruses and hesitate to pay out for the right AV software
until their machine has been trashed, but they still won't change from Win.

It doesn't help having letters printed in Computing (and also I think
articles) that indicate that Linux definitely "will" (not even "might") be
trashed by Viruses if it becomes widely used. Such statements are always
refued by linux users in protesting letters but it seems the Windows
adherents who make these statements still aren't convinced. How about
persuading Computing to print an article explaining exactly why Win is so
very much more vulnerable and putting this issue to rest?

Our own hardware supplier was convinced Linux would be virus ridden if
popular. We did give him an explanation otherwise. At least he's willing to
listen but is making good money out of selling Microsoft based software and
cleaning viruses off software etc. It's not entirely in his interest,
perhaps, to sell Linux? Perhaps there is the same sort of thinking in many
organisations?

Perhaps one option is to persuade home users to try it seeing it's free or
near as - catch anyone willing to be a bit adventurous and persuade them to
load it additionally to Win to start with rather than instead of - which is
how I got into it. Linux should appeal to people with tidy minds - definitely
one of its charms.

I can well understand why businesses want to stick with MS. They're scared of
change or scared of problems with staff not coping with something different.
I wish they'd be adventurous and learn the advantages of Linux but perhaps it
will take a truly horrendous virus attack that beats all the AV software
vendors for long enough to cause true, seriuosly expensive worldwide desktop
havoc on a scale never yet seen, before Linux is seriously considered for the
mainstream?

Ros
Wells Computer Consultants Ltd