[Glastonbury] Simple database required

Ian Dickinson i.j.dickinson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:09:08 BST 2005

Hi Ros,
> Can anyone please advise me of a simple to load and use database for Mandriva
> (ie Mandrake) Linux. Currently I'm running Mandrake 10.0 Official.
I presume you want a GUI tool that you can use to design your schema,
enter data and submit queries? Because if you don't need that, and are
happy with typing SQL at the command line, both MySQL and PostgresQL
are perfectly good database engines. I've used them to store and query
multi-Gb datasets, though I tend to access the data programatically
through JDBC. Both MySQL and PostgresQL should be available as
standard installations on your distro.

By sheer coincidence, today's IceWalkers mentioned DB Solo, a
graphical front end for a number of db engines including MySQL. It's
not free but is cheap (US$ 39 for a single user), and it does look
pretty capable. See:

http://www.dbsolo.com/index.html

I can't endorse this tool - I've never used it. I just happened to
notice their product today. There may well be free or open-source
products that do similar things.

Ian