[Glastonbury] sound on Tosh laptop

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 13:02:10 GMT 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 00:32, Martin Wheeler was like:
> WTF ?
>
> My laptop spontaneously burst into full stereophonic sound this evening;
> and decided to be real nice and play DVDs as well.
>
> "It wasn't me guv -- honest -- I didn't touch nuffink, I didn't!"
>
> Va savoir.
>
> (Musta been tonight's dist-upgrade which *finally* sorted out all the Tosh
> Satellite's problems with sound under kernel 2.6.  There was quite a bit
> of upgrading of sound utilities -- anyone else using Debian testing might
> care to take note.)

This is wonderful news. :)

At the risk of jumping to conclusions, I'd say this is reasonable evidence
that the work I've been involved in with DeMuDi for the last three years
(count 'em ;) has actually started to trickle down into the main Debian
repositories. The work has been mostly performed by Free Ekanayaka and I
suspect Dave Phillips has had a lot to do with identifying the problems with
sound on laptops. I also know that a lot of work has been going on inside the
kernel (not Debian specific) which means that the promised integration with
ALSA now actually works out of the box without having to faff around.

I've actually been holding on Debian/DeMuDi stable in order to get some work
done. I think this is a sign that it's time to move back up to testing. :)

> Of course, now I daren't upgrade my kernel.   :(

Out of interest, which version of the 2.6 kernel are you on?
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim