[Glastonbury] sound on Tosh laptop

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Dec 4 23:04:58 GMT 2005

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, tim hall wrote:

> This is wonderful news. :)
  . . .
>  the promised integration with
> ALSA now actually works out of the box without having to faff around.

Mmm . . not quite . . yet.

One of the problems is the fact that laptops use combined modem/sound
cards, which are the source of all sorts of conflict problems,
particularly when you don't use the modem, but a PCMCIA network card.

At the moment, alsa has conflicts with udev (replacemnt for hotplug); so
plugging in a network card can actually kill my sound facilities!

Tonight for example, I had to reboot three times, alternately popping the
PCMCIA card in and out, before sound decided to turn itself on.

The order in which you start up your kernel modules is also important here
-- sometimes starting the modem before the sound utilities is enough to
kill sound dead.

> I've actually been holding on Debian/DeMuDi stable in order to get some work
> done. I think this is a sign that it's time to move back up to testing. :)

Maybe.

> Out of interest, which version of the 2.6 kernel are you on?

2.6.12-1 Sep 27

Cheers,