[Glastonbury] meeting next Wednesday

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Dec 12 07:04:58 GMT 2005

Martin Wheeler wrote:

> For what it's worth, I don't like the idea of meeting in a pub.  It
> automatically bars the under-18s from participating; and despite the
> rather silly macho beer-swilling thing commonly associated with Linux,
> if I wanted to start a drinking club, I'd do just that -- start a
> drinking club.

I don't think meeting in a pub would be particularly practical as the
infrastructure would not be there... somewhere like the Tor Leisure,
though, might be... Rick is in the process of installing internet access
points for his meeting rooms so that anybody booking the room could also
get on the internet... I think he's also planning to have wireless
access so all we'd really need would be a few folks to bring laptops
etc. and we'd be laughing... we might also want to see if we could get
hold of a projector but that would be a "luxury" rather than a necessity.

I do notice that prices of projectors are falling... here's one for just
over £500...

http://www.projected.co.uk/canon-lv-s3.htm

> I'm not really in favour of a highly structured organisation
> (blazer-badge politics inevitably creeps in -- "I'm not belonging to
> anything *HE*'s on the committee of -- in fact I'm not belonging to
> anything *I* can't control completely") -- but I *am* in favour of
> regularity of meeting times that we stick to.

I agree.  The regularity has to be a primary concern as it is the one
thing, I believe, that has created the situation we are in now.  I think
in terms of "committee" anybody that attends should be automatically
assumed to be part of a theoretical committee and we should alter the
group only through consultation with as many "members" as possible, both
in person and on this e-group.

> I'm also very much in favour of keeping costs down to an absolute
> minimum.

Indeed.

> And I'm also in favour of having a programme worked out six months in
> advance -- I feel the current lack-a-daisical attitude shown by all of
> us in not setting a programme is detrimental to the group.

I agree.

> Presumably see you all on Wednesday.

I have to run the "open mic night" at the King Arthur from 8.45pm on
Wednesday so shall be in Glastonbury anyway so will no doubt pop in.