[Glastonbury] meeting next Wednesday

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 22:28:32 GMT 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Tony Sumner wrote:

> Talking of meetings, will there be a meeting on Wednesday 14 Dec? The
> web site says there is and has said so throughout this discussion.

I'm assuming so.  No-one's said anything to the contrary; and we certainly
need one, if only to discuss practical modalities for the future.
(I would take the accompanying published programme of events with a great
dollop of salt, though.)

Greg:
Sorry I missed you last Wednesday -- we must have passed each other in
the car park.  I'd been there since ten to seven, and the weather was
foul, and I just didn't think anyone was going to make the effort, so I
left at five past.

Steve:
I'm sorry you feel you can't take the heat.  (But it's probably worth
bearing in mind that anyone who takes a snipe at me inevitably gets a
snipe back.  I'm not the shy retiring kind, and I have no fear of using
strong, emotive language.)  I'm very grateful for all you've done for the
group -- but I feel the time has come for a review before it all falls
asunder.  (No reflexion on *you* -- it's the *system* which needs
tinkering with.)

Ian:
See above.  It takes all sorts to make a world; no one style of expression
will ever prevail.  You're free to associate with whomsoever you wish, and
to find me as rude as you wish -- but don't let it be a reason for you
quitting the group, though.  (It should be evident that that sort of
action won't change my behaviour one whit.)

Re meeting:

Maybe members could reflect on some of the ideas suggested in the Linux
User Group HOWTO (as Steve suggested two-and-a-half years ago).

For what it's worth, I don't like the idea of meeting in a pub.  It
automatically bars the under-18s from participating; and despite the
rather silly macho beer-swilling thing commonly associated with Linux, if
I wanted to start a drinking club, I'd do just that -- start a drinking
club.

I'm not really in favour of a highly structured organisation (blazer-badge
politics inevitably creeps in -- "I'm not belonging to anything *HE*'s on
the committee of -- in fact I'm not belonging to anything *I* can't
control completely") -- but I *am* in favour of regularity of meeting
times that we stick to.

I'm also very much in favour of keeping costs down to an absolute minimum.

And I'm also in favour of having a programme worked out six months in
advance -- I feel the current lack-a-daisical attitude shown by all of us
in not setting a programme is detrimental to the group.

Presumably see you all on Wednesday.

Cheers,