[Glastonbury] [Fwd: Tomorrow's advertised meeting]

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 07:13:02 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:32:58AM +0000, steve wrote:
> how quiet it can be
>
> --
>
> ThinMan Music:
> http://fractalsoup.org

Hi Steve,

No, not really :)  You've just done/proved what may have been implicit
for a while.  The LUGoG at St. Dunstans has been living on your goodwill
- rent free, as it were - but with you as a pivotal point. That means
  that you get all the plaudits, much well-deserved credit - and much
  of the blame, brickbats and so on. You get to shoulder (much of)
  the work but it means that the LUGoG is effectively absolutely
  dependent on one person.

This model works fine, until for one reason or another it breaks down.
Too much on one pair of shoulders/too many service expectations, too
many commitments and/or misunderstandings of what's involved - note,
I'm explicitly _not_ attaching blame here because its easy to get into
this situation inadvertently.

Now the LUGoG has to grow up into a "real" group - which potentially
means (some minimal) sort of committee, some sort of
finances/subscription, some sort of meeting plans.  E.g a book group is
fine if it can borrow a room in the public library for an hour or two at
the say so of a librarian - once it has to pay for a room/justify its
existence in a profitable space, it needs more organisation. Same here.

Some members of the group may have realised this for a while: everyone
is now going to have to pitch in to help support the group.  You were
the key to T1, which was ideal: is/was there anything to stop the
formation of a _group_ of responsible people who could continue to meet
there and use the facilities taking "corporate" responsibility?

The mailing list costs us very little and is, potentially, the heart
of the group. Thanks for organising the room for tonight - now the
onus is on those of you who can get there to actually _do_ something
to sort out something for the future.  I can't - I'm doing my
charity bit in Coventry, which is rather too far away :(

ATB,

Andy
<big snip about details for the meeting TONIGHT Weds 14/12/2005 at St.
Dunstan's room 4>