[Glastonbury] Tonight's meeting

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 01:27:44 GMT 2005

Very constructive meeting tonight, despite the fact that there were only
four of us present (with apologies for absence from Sean, stuck in
Shepton; and Greg, doing his accounts).  Very chastising to realise that
I was the only one there who hadn't driven for more than half an hour to
get to the meeting -- with folks coming from as far afield as Wellington,
it's more than ever necessary to ensure that meetings are well-advertised
in advance, and the events worth attending.  (Although it was pointed out
that some actually enjoy the unstructured approach, which gives room to
chat about personal queries.)

Didn't see anything of Mike Lee, or the caretaker; but Room 4 was open,
and the projector worked just fine with my laptop (thanks TimW, for
finding the remote) -- even allowed me to demonstrate a DVD film with
sound.  [Whilst on the subject, can anyone on list help Peter with
installing xine under SUSE 9.3?  Via the list for starters; then Peter
will be bringing his machine in to the next meeting to see if we can fix
various anomalies for him.]

Interesting comments arising from general discussion showed that we really
need to do something about the website, to make it easier for *anyone* to
update, or add reviews, comments, etc. to it.  The current version of
Mambo is a nightmare, even if it *is* pretty to look at.  (Personally,
after all the comments made, I think we should scrap it, and start
afresh.  Tony suggested we take a look at the Devon & Cornwall LUG site;
and in particular their wiki -- having just had a butcher's, I think it's
something we should definitely think about adopting ourselves; see :

      http://www.dclug.org.uk/

I notice they've also already got on their front page one of the ideas put
forward tonight for our own enhanced organisation  -- Librarian.)

*Very* exceptionally, I've attached to this e-mail a copy of the
OpenOffice presentation used tonight as a basis for discussing the future
organisation of the group.  (q.v.)

Basically, we threw around ideas which formalise quite a lot of what
exists already -- the idea of a "core" group of three people to represent
the group (to the press, to local educational establishments, to anyone
who requires an 'official' of the group to be present when third-party
premises are being used, etc. etc.)  At the moment this function is
roughly carried out by Steve, MartinW, Kelvin, Sean and TimH.

Plus other named persons responsible for Meetings Organisation (we don't
have anyone doing this specifically, at the moment -- Cherry; Ian -- fancy
taking this on?); Postmaster, to look after the mailing list (currently
carried out by MartinW, Sean and Kelvin); Webmaster, to look after the
website (currently carried out by Sean and TimH); Librarian, to take care
of software and books acquired by the group (currently devolves on Steve);
Quartermaster, to look after hardware and equipment donated to the group
(currently devolves on Steve also); Treasurer (haven't needed on yet, so
no-one has been doing this for the group.  Any offers?)

Comments, please ?
Offers to fill any of the proposed posts ?  Further suggestions ?

It was also tentatively suggested that group meetings continue on a
monthly basis, on the SECOND TUESDAY of the month; thus making the January
meeting Tuesday, January 11th.
(Times still kept at 19.00-21.00 for the time being.)

As for the question of premises, I hope to have news for the group in the
next few days which will solve many of our current problems.

Until then, it would be nice to get discussions under way on the proposals
made in the presentation -- so it's over to you now.

Cheers,