[Glastonbury] Wireless Access Point

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 14:43:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 02:19:06PM +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> tony at whittycat.me.uk wrote:

You may well need a machine with two cards. The WAP I have sitting on
my machine (also a Netgear) has Linux with a 2.2 kernel inside. It
_doesn't_ have a DHCP server internally - so you either need to get
DHCP off the machine/netwwork to which its connected, or you need to assign
it a fixed IP address.  I'm not sure that "just plugging it in" to a
network hub/switch where the main network is DHCP would work. I've
certainly plugged it into a separate card all to itself.  WAP's as
standalone boxes are increasingly rare: ADSL with WAP as an addition
seems to be the norm. I installed one the other day - another Netgear -
to help out a Windows using friend. One click and it was done - takes
all the fun out of it :)

> I might be entirely wrong in my interpretation of how wireless access
> points work... in which case I apologise, having never had one myself...
> just thought I'd throw in the idea if it makes it easier for folks to
> plug in and become productive...
>
> Sean

Andy