[Glastonbury] Mini install fest on my laptop

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 03:30:11 GMT 2005

Andy/Sean
Thanks for that and the offer - but I've downloaded the one CD Ubuntu
and installed it, reminded me of Debian Woody. (Grub error 18 is
particularly unhelpful at start up though but some distros didn't like
something about this hard drive!! ), but on a laptop it installed
clean as a whistle with NIC, sound, O-O, evolution and firefox all
working. Missing Audacity and Qcad but I expect equivalents are
around.

Personally having found Kanotix excellent, but with a few bugs, MEPIS
a doddle, but not all programmes (packages?) worked and Ubuntu stable,
I'll be evaluating Ubuntu and Mepis for myself. The documentation for
Ubuntu puts it in the lead, for me anyway, as long as I can cope with
both Gnome and KDE.

Andy, from your summary, the deciding factor between the debian
distros seems to be support which is where ubuntu must win out in the
short term.

Q. Who is paying for all the server space and bandwidth for these
updates and downloads? Someone has to. I just hope they keep doing so.

Greg